All images provided courtesy of Dusk Devi & Pacific Runway
Solwata Kin is a podcast, produced by Talanoa, that highlights and celebrates Oceanic thought leaders hosted by Talanoa’s creative director, Emele Ugavule, and associate educator Brandon Tacadena. We will be speaking with academics, artists and educators from across Oceania, diaspora and on-Country, about their journey to becoming who they are. This podcast is an opportunity for you to learn more about the uniqueness of their journey and how their Oceanic identity is not only integral but is inseparable from their work.
Through responsive storytelling, we aim to highlight the ways our thought leaders have carved their own paths, uplifted their peoples and re-imagined the future of our Ocean.
Transcript for Trailer episode
Vinaka vakalevu to our platforming partners South Pacific Islander Organisation
South Pacific Islander Organization (SPIO) is a 100% grassroots nonprofit founded in December 2018 by four Indigenous and Pacific Islander Stanford alumni who believe in democratizing Pacific Islander access to higher education and economic opportunities, globally. They came together in response to the lack of cohesive Pacific representation in higher education, professional fields, and in the media.
- Vosa Season 3 Episode 2 - The future of our oceans 29 Oct 2023The Mama T's talanoa with two of our Pacific Ocean champions, Rose Kautoke and Bill Waqalevu. Bill is Senior Researcher (PhD) at Yas SeaWorld Research & Rescue in Abu Dhabi and Rose Kautoke, Senior Crown Counsel, Head of the Legal Advice and International Law Division, Attorney General's Office and ocean law advocate. They share insights […]Vosa
- Vosa Season 3 Episode 1 - Defining Leadership 05 Oct 2023Vosa is back and with new hosts for Season 3. Join the Mama T's - Trina and Talita - as they explore Pacific leadership with Ana Laqeretabua (Fiji), Jamal Talagi (Niue) and Amelia Katoa (Tonga).See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.Vosa
- Vosa Season 2 Episode 10 - Rituals 15 Sep 2022This episode we explore the sacred and - oftentimes intimidating - world of rituals and the relationship they have with our identities as Pacific people. Our two amazing episode 10 guests guide us through this final episode of VOSA Season 2 - Wendy Mocke is a Papua New Guinean inter-disciplinary storyteller, a NIDA Acting graduate, […]Vosa
- Vosa Season 2 Episode 9 - Technology and Connectivity 25 Aug 2022This episode we’re delving into all things technology and connectivity. The ways in which we are using technology to address everyday challenges, how technology is helping us preserve our ways of life and keeping us connected, and asking ourselves how we can best use it to safely and inclusively benefit our communities. We hear from: […]Vosa
- Vosa Season 2 Episode 8 - Caring For Our Community 08 Jul 2022In this episode, each of our guests has a story to share about how families and communities found ways to stay connected and how we might take some of that learning with us into the future. We hear from: Jeffry Feeger of Papua New Guinea, Ann Singeo of Palau, Dr Fotu Fisi'iahi of Tonga, and […]Vosa
- Vosa Season 2 Episode 7 - 2035 Pacific Voices of the Future 16 May 2022In this episode of Vosa we speak with some of the Pacific's most spirited changemakers. Our young people. 'Ana Malia Falemaka of Tonga, Yasmin Poole of Australia, Nelson Kokoa of PNG and Elizabeth Kite of Tonga share with us their vision for their communities in 2035 and what they think it will take to get […]Vosa
- Vosa Season 2 Episode 6 - The Hustle is Real 01 Apr 2022This episode is about the hustle. We speak with Pacific women entrepreneurs and business founders who share their experiences of starting something new, stepping into uncertainty, choosing a path less travelled and reflecting on what it has taken for their ventures to survive the ups and downs of business, including the pandemic. VOSA speaks with […]Vosa
- Vosa Season 2 Episode 5 - In Conversation: IWD 2022 10 Mar 2022This episode, we celebrate International Women’s Day, encouraging conversations across generations, across the ocean, across different stages of life and careers. VOSA speaks with Rhea Moss-Christian of the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and Vinzealhar Nen of Papua New Guinea. For more on how the World Bank in the Pacific is marking International Women's Day […]Vosa
- Vosa Season 2 Episode 4 - Ocean Voices 10 Feb 2022In this episode of Vosa, we share voices from our oceanic region, reminding us of our connection to the ocean and all the ways in which Pacific people are working to protect and preserve it. Guests this episode include: Masio Nadung of PNG, Mathew Chigiyal of the Federated States of Micronesia, Dr Katy Soapi of […]Vosa
- Vosa Season 2 Episode 3 - Parenthood 23 Dec 2021Vosa hears Pacific perspectives on parenthood, its joys and challenges, and the various ways in which parents are nurturing their children in a changing world. Listeners and guests reflect on their dreams for their children. This episode's guests include: Reverend James Bhagwan of the Pacific Conference of Churches, Solomon Islands journalist Georgina Kekea, community educator […]Vosa